If you initiate a campaign from a segment, everyone in that segment will flow through that campaign. In this simple workaround, we describe how to use tags and a condition to only send new contacts through the campaign (this is one solution – there are several ways to accomplish this).
- Create a new campaign and initiate it with the segment you’re trying to send to only new members.
- Click on the selector and add an action to update a contacts tags.
- Add the tag (whatever you want to call it).
- Save and close the campaign then click Publish.
- Once the campaign has run, un-publish the campaign (important!)
- Set up your new campaign where the first step is a condition to see if the contact has been tagged, which means they should NOT proceed through the next steps.
- On the negative side of the condition (ie. they do NOT have the tag), set up the rest of the campaign.
There are a number of ways you can accomplish this task. With this solution, you don’t need extra segments or custom fields.
Thanks to our community members @yourdigitalclub and @brandner for posting the discussion and the solution in our Slack channel!