What is Tagging?
Think of tagging as placing certain labels on your contacts. You are essentially assigning a key word or phrase that describes that contact. This allows a convenient way to organize contacts that share similar qualities.
For example, if you have a group of VIP contacts then you can tag each contact as “VIP” and leverage the tag to perform a number of actions (i.e sending additional content during a campaign).
However, unlike segments, tags cannot be used to initiate a campaign.
Manually Adjust a Contact’s Tag
To manually place a tag on a contact:
- Click into the ‘contact’ section of your Mautic instance
- Click into the contact record and click ‘edit’ in the upper left hand corner
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click into ‘Tags’ and add the tag that fits the contact.
You can add as many tags as you want to a single contact. These tags will be re-usable across other contacts after they’re added once.
Tagging & Points
Implementing a point system in Mautic is a great way to give weight to a contact’s decisions, and gauge their potential interest in your company. It is also a great way to utilize tagging.
For example, if a contact receives a certain amount of points in their lead score then the ‘VIP’ tag can be automatically added for the level of that contact’s engagement.
Additionally, you can remove tags that may no longer be applicable to a contact once they’ve reached a specified point level.
To modify a contact’s tag based on their point level:
- Click into the ‘points’ section of your Mautic instance and select ‘Manage Triggers’
- Click into ‘New Trigger’ and name the Trigger (i.e. add ‘VIP’ tag to contact)
- Select the minimum number of points to reach this tag. Please note that this can be a positive or negative amount of points.
- Click ‘Events’ and select ‘Add an event’.
- Select ‘Modify contact’s tags’
- Select which tags to add or remove from the contact
7.) Click ‘Add’ and then ‘Save & Close’
Now your tag will be added/removed based on the contact’s point level.
To add a tag condition in a form:
- Click into ‘Components’ and ‘Forms’ on your Mautic instance
- Click ‘New form’ and determine if this should be a Campaign or Standalone Form. For more information on these two forms click here
- Create your form and select ‘Actions’
- Click ‘Add a new submit action’ and select ‘Modify contact’s tags’. Add the tag, apply this action and save & close
Now whenever that form is submitted the contact’s tag will automatically be adjusted.
Tagging & Campaigns
Campaigns can be used to send content to users with a specific tag or to modify tags based on certain actions.
For example, a promotional email could be sent to your contacts who have the VIP tag.
To set this up:
- Click into your campaign builder and select the segment of contacts you would like to send the email to.
- Select the condition that the contact must have a certain tag
- Select ‘Action’ and determine the content to be sent (i.e. send promo email)
Now when this campaign is launched only contacts with that tag will be sent the content.
Additionally, tags can also be modified based off of actions performed by the contact during a campaign.
For example, if you wanted to add the ‘VIP’ tag to all contacts that opened an email, this could be done in the campaign builder.
To do this:
- Launch the campaign builder and determine if the campaign will be based off a contact segment or a campaign form. For more information on this click here
- Proceed through the campaign and when you would like to modify the tag select ‘Action’ and ‘Modify contact’s tag’.
Now when the contact performs a certain action, the tag will be automatically adjusted.